Friday, May 1, 2009

Pre-Basic 1: First PT and ASVAB

Yesterday was my birthday and I am now 32. Today I am starting to really get close to joining the army. I took my Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT/ PT) and my ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) test. My recruiter was very easy on me. Instead of 2 min. pushups, 2 min. situps, and 2 mile run, he only required me to do 1-1-1. Pushups I did not have a problem. I did 49 in one minute. Situps were another story. I was only able to do 33 in one minute. I don't know if I could have done much more if I had another minute. I really need to start doing crunches to build up that core muscle. I used to be able to run the two mile in 9 minutes in high school, but on today's run I did the one mile in 7:48 and I think it was a little less than a mile. Ouch. I am hoping that running with others will really begin to push me and that by the end of Officer Canidate School (OCS) I will be in the 13 minute range for two miles.

After I got cleaned up I went to downtown Phoenix to take the ASVAB test. I wasn't too worried about it, but wanted to do well on it. If I do well on the test than I can get a better choice of my Military Occupation Specialty (MOS) once in OCS. The recruiters at the Gilbert station were making bets on how well I would do on the test based on my practice test. I did not tell them that I went home and studied a little taking a full practice test online. That helped me get more familiar with the test. For those of you thinking about taking the test it is at http://www.petersons.com/ You should be able to use it free for a while before they make you pay. Anyway, here are my results. I am pretty pleased with myself. Hopefully you understand.

...............................GS AR WK PC MK EI AS MC AO VE
Standard Scores: 55 66 66 69 70 50 45 50 68 68

.............................................GT CL CO EL FA GM MM OF SC ST
Composite Scores Army: 137 136 122 124 124 119 111 120 128 128

AFQT Percentile Score: 99

99 is the highest you can get on the test. My best areas were Math and English. My worst were Auto, Electrical, and Mechanical. However, I was able to do well enough to get any job in the army that I want. It felt good to do well on a test. It has been so long since I have taken a test.

Tomorrow I go in to get my in depth physical. Wish me luck.

0 comments: