Friday, May 8, 2009

Pre-Basic 4: MEPS Taking the Oath and Contracting

Yeah MEPS!!!

I was able to show up later than the usual early time because I had to work, but they gave my recruiter a hard time about it. Silly.

This process was long too. I had a guy help me with my contract. He was in a hurry to get me done, because he had plans for the weekend to go to Las Vegas for a Star Trek convention. Enough said. Strange guy, and didn't really know what he was doing. He gave me a date, and I wanted an earlier one. I talked to a higher up and they tried to tell me that there was no way to get an earlier date. Finally he told me how to get a earlier date. I need to have my recruiter call every so often asking if there is an opening for that date. If you want to get answers. You got to press these guys, because they just want to run us through.

Actually after it was all said and done I was happy with the date I was given and felt better and better about as I thought about it more. I will be leaving to Basic Training (BCT) on July 7th 2009. (That is Mandy and mine 5th wedding anniversary. Happy anniversary Honey.) I will join OCS group 504-09 on Sept. 20th 2009.

After some finger prints and paper work I took my oath. This was a real cool experience for me. I felt very patriotic. Family members were allowed to watch this and take pictures. I kind of wished I had some family to experience this with me, but at the same time I would not want them to have to go through MEPS like had to. Here is a picture of what it was like, except mine had about 15 people taking oath at the same time.



Here is the oath that I made:

"I, David Sparks, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to the regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

I got a little teary eyed as I made this oath. I felt a great pride for serving my country. I know that what I am doing is what God wants me to do, and that I should not take this oath lightly. "If a man vow unto the Lord, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth." (Numbers 30:2) I know that as I keep this oath I will be blessed by God.

I hope to serve God, my country, and my family with honor. Thank you for those of you that offer prayers in my behalf. More than a prayer of safety, this is what I hope most of the prayers are based on.

0 comments: